This post is a status update, which is how I track progress specific to my game. Check out my timeline to see what I've recently accomplished.
With the holidays upon us, I wasn’t able to get much done over the last couple of weeks. But when I did get the chance to work, I made it count. I’ve been putting off character dialogue and scripted scenes for a while now, but I’m happy to say the framework to achieve that is now in place. Here is a brief example of a couple of characters engaging in a well written scripted scene, full of deception, intrigue, and suspense.
Ok, maybe there wasn’t any deception, intrigue, and suspense, but there could have been! That’s because through some serious trial and error I think I have a system in place that can easily scale to add any character actions into scripted scenes. Characters can fight, attack, move, talk and die. They can perform on the screen without any user input and put on a show to advance the story.
If you’ve played Final Fantasy Tactics, then you know how much depth can be given to a game’s story and it’s characters through scripted events. I don’t have a huge budget for cut scenes to tell a story, so I’m taking a page out of the Final Fantasy Tactics book by using dialogue and actions between in-game characters to tell the story. There is still a lot of work to do all of that on my end, but hopefully getting started was the hardest part.